REMAR USA is a nonprofit organization, dedicated to help people with problems dealing with drugs, alcohol, homelessness and others that are disregarded by society through our long term Christian rehabilitation program. In Spanish REMAR is an abbreviation which means "Rehabilitation of People on the Margin of Society". It is an expression of part of the body of Christ through the church here on Earth.
The first step we have here at the REMAR USA is at a farm. We call this the "First Phase". We place our volunteers who come to Remar with problems out of the city away from all the evils of the world and the life they are accustomed to. It is a calm, serene, place where they can start to begin to get new life habits and clean their life up in a Christian family atmosphere. In order for them to learn new habits we do set up some rules and guidelines for them to follow while they are participating in the activities here at Remar USA and so they can learn to respect others and build good relationship with one another. While on the farm they are subject to doing different activities. They start the day off by doing a devotional in a group. Then they help out with the chores on the farm that include feeding cows, chickens, pigs and horses and maintenance on the buildings at the farm. By giving them occupational therapy it will help them keep their mind off of thinking of negative things and of the worlds bad influences.
After approximately two months at the farm the people are sent to a house in Miami, Lakeland, Austin, or Newark. This is called the "Second Phase". The structure of the second phase is almost the same as the first phase. They still have rules and guidelines to go by but they have some added responsibilities when they get into this phase. The responsibilities can range from driving a truck for a moving job, washing cars, painting houses, working on the computer, calling places for donations, answering phone calls, etc. The whole purpose of this is to be reintroduced back in to society. With this happening this places them in the "outside world" and they may start dealing with problems that they have in the past before they came to Remar. But now they have been away from society for two months and they can start thinking with a clearer head and mind and deal with situations differently than they might have in the past. Being honest, having integrity and extending a helping hand to help others in need are showing the love of Jesus Christ.
The time of the rehabilitation program is a year. After they serve the year here and after the Second Phase is completed they have the opportunity to be in the "Third Phase" of the program. The Third Phase consists of staying with the ministry of Remar and serving God. If they feel the call from the Lord to serve Him and to help others the way that they have been helped they can live a life of joy and happiness by serving the Lord and His people.
PRINCIPLES AND VALUES
The culture which orients our organization and the management of resources is governed by the following VALUES:
Ultimate values (relative to the vision):
- The dignity of the individual, the centre and foundation of every social, economic, political and cultural project.
- The universal distribution of wealth, oriented to guarantee decent living conditions for all.
- The common good, which we believe is reached when human rights are guaranteed, respected, and promoted.
- Solidarity, as a firm determination to work towards justice, in an organized and persevering manner, to bring a dignified life to the most impoverished on this planet.
- Acting as subsidiaries, not imposing our way of seeing and doing things, but responding to the demands of the men and women of the nations and sharing with them the responsibility for their own development.
Instrumental values (relative to the mission):
- A volunteer scheme as a culture of service free-of-charge, offering an alternative to economic competition, leading to the transformation of society to one of more justice and solidarity. The volunteer assumes the responsibilities of the organs of government, direction and management.
- Austerity concerning costs and consumer items oriented towards a sharing and development of life styles which can be self-financing, and which respect the environment.
- A culture of peace, based on dialogue, reconciliation, friendship and respect for life, and in no circumstances collaborating with any actions which are warlike, partisan, or which imply violence towards human beings or nature.
- Cooperation and coordination with other organizations in order to attend the needs of all people in a situation of exclusion, with no distinction according to sex, race, country or religion.
- Independence of action in the choice of campaigns of sensitization and in support of development projects.
- Quality and professionalism in all its activities.
- Transparency in the attraction, management and administration of resources, looking to a greater economic independence.
The PRINCIPLES which govern our management are:
- A commitment to the mission of the organization and enthusiasm in the work. We are committed to the mission of the organization and we act with initiative and creativity, encouraging team work.
- Working in networks and alliances. We aim to work with other organizations, through networks and alliances, which are committed towards the eradication of poverty and the building of a world of justice.
- Transparency and availability of the accounts. Our rule for management is austerity and strictness in the use of resources, and we act always with complete transparency, giving account to our members, to the beneficiaries of our actions, and to society in general.
In REMAR we work towards:
- A search for equality and social justice as a means of achieving a fairer and more humane world.
- The encouragement of processes of balanced development, of a kind which can become self-supporting beyond our intervention, with the aim of changing structures which, in turn, will bring wider positive repercussions. Solidarity and Commitment with and towards those who are socially marginalized and less favored.
- A deep respect for democratic values.
- A search for the sustainability of natural resources.
REMAR USA is a branch of REMAR INTERNATIONAL. For more information please visit www.REMAR.org.